It’s been a while since I’ve posted, but my friend Christine kind of nudged me to start again. Now that the GMAT is over (740, yay!) I actually have time to do nonsensical things.
1. I’ve rediscovered the wonders of books and TV. I’ve gone through 6 books – though I can only remember two (Water for Elephants and A Game of Thrones) – and upwards of 50+ movies. It’s disgusting, I know. But blame Netflix.
2. Dance! I’ve started taking hip hop classes at a nearby dance studio, Your Neighborhood Studio.
3. I’ve started an herb garden on my balcony. It’s pretty small at the moment, but it’ll be growing soon.
4. I’m traveling through Spain during the first 12 days of September. So excited. Rebecca Black-style.
5. Visited a bunch of eye surgeons around Los Angeles, and I’ve been cleared for LASIK. I’ll be getting it done this fall when I have nothing to do but be a bum. I can’t even imagine what it’s going to be like to be able to wake up and see perfectly without any contacts or glasses.
6. Oddly enough, I’ve learned to really enjoy my (extra) time alone.
Tomorrow I’m making pot roast in my slow cooker, so tonight I was on a mission to clean out my refrigerator. Lo and behold, at the end of a massive clean-out, I had all the ingredients for this adapted recipe for Grapefruit Yogurt Cupcakes. I’ve had a craving for sweets the past few days, so I saw this as a less-guilty way of having some tasty treat. Hey! It’s fruit…sort of.
I thought they came out well, however I was slightly disappointed that the grapefruit flavor wasn’t as strong as I had hoped. The grapefruit-sugar mix smelled so awesome, but that strong smell didn’t translate into taste. Lame. The frosting was able to hold a good citrus flavor. I cut down on the sugar and I would’ve kept adding more grapefruit juice if it didn’t make the frosting too watery.
Grapefruit Yogurt Cupcakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon grapefruit zest (about 1 grapefruit)
1 cup plain whole milk yogurt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grapefruit juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions: Preheat oven to 350°F and line a cupcake tin with paper liners. In a medium bowl, sift and whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, combine granulated sugar and grapefruit zest. Mix together with your fingers or the back of the spoon until the two are completely combined, creating a fragrant grapefruit sugar. Beat the eggs into the sugar until the eggs are thick and pale yellow. Add the yogurt, oil, grapefruit juice, and vanilla extract. Stir well to combine. Add the flour mixture a little at a time, being careful not to overmix, until it is all incorporated. Scoop batter into the paper liners, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for a couple minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
8oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 4 teaspoons grapefruit juice (or to taste)
Directions: Using a mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until well combined. Gradually sift in confectioners sugar until fully incorporated and desired sweetness and consistency. Mix in vanilla and grapefruit juice and mix until combined.